Swatches are a convenient way to keep track of the colors in your document.
Using a color that is not on your document
- Make sure the swatch window is open by selecting
Window > Swatches.
- Make sure you do not have anything selected in your document, or you’ll accidentally change its color.
- Hold down the shift key and click the color box on bar near the top of the screen, the control panel.
- Select the color you’d like. When you’re done, press enter.
- Make sure the color you’d like to save is in front on the color tool (fill vs stroke).
- Click the
New Swatchbutton near the bottom of the swatch window, or use the drop-down menu at the upper right-hand corner of the swatch window to select
- Name your color.
- Click OK, and your swatch will appear at the end of the list.